Monday, September 10, 2007

I Did My Chores Board


I found this product in a Parents magazine a number of months ago, and thought to myself, "I can make one of those for just as cheap!" Turns out, I was wrong... mainly because I wanted to use the durable plastic hanging tags instead of making paper ones with my Sizzix Machine. So, I bit the bullet and ordered it from the manufacturer http://ididitproductions.com/about.php.

The premise of the board is to encourage kids to be self sufficient with their chores, even from an early age. I chose "chores" that are really things Coleman should do already, but the idea is to have the kids do them without constant reminders, so it is helpful even for his age. The kit comes with a light foam-core board that you can personalize with your child's name and 5 sets of hooks with corresponding colored plastic tags. The chore labels come on label sheets and you add them to whatever color you want. There are also a number of blank ones for you to create your own ( I made Quiet Time and Get Dressed.) It also includes little green bingo looking chips to reward for each job completed.

You hang the tags on each hook in the order the things should be done, and as the child consults their hook and completes their chore, they put that tag in the "I Did It" box. At the end of the day, each chore completed without constant reminding gets a green chip (I provided the little bag). We have a reward chart to the left with what certain amounts of chips are worth. Each day's chores in our house equals 15 chips. (Sample chores for Coleman: Get Dressed, Clear your plate from the table, wipe your place at the table (3 times a day), sweeper the floor (loves my swiffer), put shoes in closet, brush teeth, pick up toys, do schoolwork, get ready for bed). As he gets older we will add to those.

So far Coleman likes it. He loves to have me count his chips and see what rewards he is has earned. Since he is in a "Hot Wheels" phase, I think he is saving for those. I just remind him in the morning to check his board, and remind him a few other times a day to follow it's directions. It has made it a little easier around here and he feels much more grown up.

1 comment:

Jeff B said...

Thanks for the endorsement! Please let me know if you need anything else... additional sticker art (Dino Chores! maybe?) or the latest innovation, the Rewards Board with Token Tubes to eliminate the hassle of counting and re-counting tokens! I'll send you these for free to try and review. Send me a note. jeff at brantleymarketing dot com. (I am the sole distributor of the original "I Did My Chores! Chore System by Deeanne Gist.) I will be glad to offer your readers a really good discount too! Thanks!
Jeff