Saturday, February 23, 2008

(Not Quite) Even Better Than the Real Thing... But Close!


The short of it? If you have ever been a fan of U2, GO SEE
THIS movie when it comes to your town!

Shane and I have been U2 fans for over 18 years now, and even managed to catch them live in 1993 on the Zoo TV tour when they came to Birmingham Alabama. They were touring with Public Enemy (thanks Keith- it was NOT 2LiveCrew as I posted originally) at the time, and during the opening act- Flava Flav hung, in effigy, a white sheeted/hooded KKK mannequin. In Birmingham. Alabama. Apparently the Klan are not huge U2 fans, so the evening progressed without a hitch (or additional lynch as it was) but I was a little nervous for a few minutes.

U2 has had a lot of new material in the last 15 years, and Shane and I have been eagerly anticipating the new 3Dimensional Digital concert/movie from U2 for a few months now. It is only playing in IMax locations and theaters that have a digital projector, and only for one night in each town. Tonight was our night here in Memphis, so we were glad to grab our 3D glasses at the door and take our seats at the Paradisio Theater. It has been a long time Since I have seen anything in 3D, and allow me to say- this ain't those little blue and red cellophane lenses. I new I was in for a treat from the preview alone!

The movie started and it was incredible how real everything on the screen looked. (Dare I say 3 dimensional?) The text looked like it was jumping out at you- it seemed you could reach out and move the microphone stand out of your way when it blocked your view. There were a couple of times water was thrown in the air in the crowd and you would swear it was going to land in your lap. At one point the guy next to us said he almost told someone to move out of the way, then he realized they were on the screen! Digital quality sound, excellent camera work and angles, incredible music- made for a GREAT experience. As their shows always are, there was lots of entertainment value and I would pay to see it again if I got the chance.

Here is a longer (2D) clip from YouTube from the movie, and below is the trailer (also in 2D). Neither do the experience justice. [If they are a little jerky, just hit pause when they start to load, let them load a little, then un-pause.]



{{In an unrelated note, the Rolling Stones have a documentary/concert movie coming out soon as well. I have decided that Keith Richards died 3 years ago and an animatronic skeleton is propelling him around the stage since. For a truly frightening experience, watch THIS trailer for their movie, thankfully NOT in 3D.

2 comments:

Chris K said...

It has been playing in DC for over a month and I have yet to go. What is wrong with ME????? I have seen them twice - most recently 4 days after returning home from China with TA. S. went to work, I invited a friend to join me and we left the newly adopted 21 month old with my folks.

Probably won't win any parenting awards for that, but it was Bono and The Edge!!!

Anonymous said...

The movie is on the schedule for several screenings here. I hope to see one.

I believe if Flava Flav was on the stage, you saw Public Enemy as the opening act. I can't imagine U2 ever sharing a stage with 2LiveCrew. Public Enemy is a stretch but 2LiveCrew more so.